Aurifil’s 6-strand 100% Cotton floss is wound on a gorgeous wooden spool, perfect for easy travel and the prevention of pesky tangles! It is available in all 270 Cotton colors and boasts 18 yards per spool. Aurifloss is excellent for Cross Stitch, Huck Embroidery, Miniature Punch-Needle Embroidery, Tatting, Needle Point, Crochet, Applique, Big Stitch Quilting, Accent stitching on garments and other items, and hand embroidery.
- Match needle according to project.
- Use a short length of thread, around 12”-18”, to reduce tangling.
18 Yards – 16 Mt
Aurifil’s 100% Cotton 12wt/2ply thread comes in all 270 Cotton colours and is wound on a red spool. It is the heaviest weight thread that Aurifil offer and is perfect for hand applique, hand embroidery, hand quilting, cross stitch, embellishment, handmade lace, machine applique, blanket stitch, machine embroidery (especially for designs that use a longer stitch length), machine art quilting, Sashiko, redwork, lower looper serging, and longarm quilting.
- 100/16 or 90/14 Topstitch Needle (40wt in the bobbin)
- 4.5 Longarm Needle (28wt in the bobbin)
- When using 12wt thread by machine, Aurifil recommend using a much thinner thread in the bobbin, like 40wt.
- When using in a Longarm machine, quilt slowly, using a longer stitch and silicone conditioner where necessary.
54 Yards – 50 Mt
Aurifil’s 100% Cotton 28wt/2ply thread comes in all 270 Cotton colours and is wound on a grey spool. It is the second heaviest weight thread that Aurifil offer and is perfect for double strand cross stitch, blanket stitch, hand applique, hand piecing, hand quilting, bobbin and machine lace, machine quilting, longarm quilting, machine embroidery and lower looper serging.
- 90/14 Topstitch, Quilting or Denim needle (50wt in the bobbin)
- 4.0 Longarm Needle (40wt in the bobbin)
- Go a little slower than normal while using in a Longarm machine, especially when creating curves.
Aurifil’s 100% Cotton 40wt/2ply thread is available in all 270 Cotton colors and is wound on a green spool. Because of its slightly thicker weight, it is perfect for use with sewing bags, toys or dolls, garments, or when a more defined topstitching or quilting pattern is desired. It is also terrific for Single, Double or Triple Strand Cross Stitch, Hand Piecing, Bobbin and Machine Lace, Machine Applique, Machine Embroidery, Edge-to-Edge, Pantographs, and Custom Longarm Quilting.
- 80/12 Microtex/Sharp, Universal, or Denim Needle (40wt or 50wt in the bobbin)
- 90/14 or 75/11 Quilting Needle (40wt or 50wt in the bobbin)
- 3.5 or 4.0 Longarm Quilting Needle (50wt in the bobbin)
Aurifil’s 50wt/2ply thread is the most versatile and most popular Cotton thread. It is available in all 270 Cotton colors, and is wound on the iconic orange spool. The 50wt is strong and thin, and results in remarkably flat and crisp seams. While it is wonderful for piecing, subtle quilting & topstitching, and English Paper Piecing it also works incredibly well for Needle Turn Applique, Bobbin and Machine Lace, Machine Applique (Straight Stitch, ZigZag, Blind Hem and Blanket Stitch,) Machine Embroidery, Dense Machine Quilting, Subtle Machine and Longarm Quilting, Basting, Whole Cloth and Micro Quilting, and Dense Background Designs.
- 80/12 Microtex/Sharp, Universal, Quilting, or Denim Needles (50wt in the bobbin)
- 4.0 Longarm Needle (50wt in the bobbin)
220 Yards – 200 Mt